Sunday, August 1, 2010

Q&A with SHWANN...


Question: "What software do you use to make your mixes?"

Because I'm asked this question at least once a week I thought I'd answer the question right here on my Blog --- Short Answer: None.

Long Answer: I use only a Pioneer mixer/CDJs and a portable Tascam DR-1 recorder. I never have and probably never will use any type of software to make my mixes (ahem... never says never SHWANN!!!!).

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against DJs that use software to pump out their mixes (it's a whole lot easier than the way that I do it, that's for damn sure!) BUT I strongly suggest that if you're just "starting out" that you go the old school route and make your mixes the old school way (are mixers/CDJs already considered old school???)

That way you learn the basics and build a solid grasp of song structure/phrasing, beat-matching - your ear will almost be completely deaf to this concept for a while... but trust me, you'll slowly start hear it! - :) and to eventually training your ear to differentiate between the many different keys and sets of chords (what sounds good with what and what sounds like "kaka" [muddy, off, clashy, etc] together).

Anyway... there's plenty, plenty, plenty more to write about that subject but right now that's more than enough to wrap your newbie brain around. Hopefully my answer to a simple question wasn't too long winded... peace out!